So when Jaedyn was born I made a tradition.  When my girls turn 6 weeks old we celebrate by getting their ears pierced!  Well, Hallee turned 6 weeks and we did it!  She got her ears pierced!  I know there's controversy with babies getting their ears pierced.  For example::

My dad says you didn't give her the choice to get her ears pierced and I have 2 responses to that.
1-Do you ask boys if they want to be circumcised because they could always get that done when they're older because they could make that decision of being circumcised or not which kinda leads to response number 2
2-What boy doesn't want to be circumcise just like... What girl doesn't want their ears pierced.  The ones that don't have it done want them but are too scared to do it.

Another controversial thing I've come across is
1-People at church get frustrated when they see my girls with pierced ears. Because their daughters want their ears pierced and the parents tell them they are too young and when their girls see my girls have them they begin to wonder because my girls are much younger.

So when I was 5 years old I wanted my ears pierced soo bad and I still remember going to go get them done in the mall and I have no pain tolerance whatsoever.  And I remember screaming so loud that probably everybody in the mall heard me.  Well, I didn't let my mom clean my ears.  I remember my mom having to pin me down to just clean them and twist them so they wouldn't get infected.  Well guess what?!  
My ears got infected and my mom got tired of  always fighting me to clean my ears, so she took them out and my ears were no longer pierced.  When I turned 13, I wanted my ears pierced again and I got them done and I did take care of them and I still have them.  But the reason I'm saying this story is because....Because I got my girls ears pierced at 6 weeks old and I took care of them during the healing period and I still do...They have no idea at all that they are even there and I will never have to fight them with it. And when they get older we can change them out.  

They cry for a maximum of 15 seconds...Just the initial piercing of the ear and they stop crying.

Plus they are Darling :)




2 comments

  1. Brittany Patton on June 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

    Believe it or not I actually remember you getting your ears pierced when you were 5, and when mom had to sit on you to clean them. I always wanted to leave the room because you had a ear splitting scream. lol

     
  2. Anonymous on June 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM

    Was searching for my GF's blog and came across yours. Loved your thoughtful reasoning and description and pictures of having both your dd's ears pierced as an newborns. She is adorable with those little earrings. I think
    you were a super smart mommy for doing it now when mommy can care for them. She'll thank you later!

    Our ped also encouraged to do it when mommy could care for them. I think babies and little girls with pierced ears are adorable. It celebrates their femininity and femaleness. Like you, I kept seeing babies and little girls with earrings and how cute they were with little gold studs in their ears poking through their hair.

    Our ped gave me some suggestions for moms having their infant dd's ears pierced as well as for "Tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced/Care of Newly Pierced Ears."

    If you or any other moms thinking about it and want to do it now or would like them, write me an e-mail.

    Angie
    Angietune@hotmail.com

     


Post a Comment